Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, June 23, 2014

Apple Pie Pockets


It's no secret that I love to bake.

One of  my favorite treats to make is pie.
There's just something so comforting in making pie crust.

A fun twist on traditional pie is 

Pie Pockets!
I love making these in the summer because it seems we are always on the go.
They are a great treat to make for picnics, lake days, and even for camping!
My hard working hubbie has a crazy work week coming up, 
so I wanted to send a little love in his lunch each day.
Apple pie is his ultimate fave!



My favorite and no fail pie crust recipe is Ina Garten's- you can find her recipe here.
It's the best.
And the easiest.

I also roughly use Ina's apple pie filling recipe.  
You can find that recipe here.
(I leave out the zest, orange juice, and allspice- just a personal preference)


Here's how I  make the yummy pie pockets:

First make your crust and let it chill in the fridge while you prep the filling. 



Then roll out your crust fairly thin and use a small bowl or lid to trace your circles.
(or you can be crazy and just eyeball it)


Next  transfer your circle of dough to a prepared baking sheet (I prefer using parchment paper) and coat the edge with an egg wash- this will serve as the glue.
(egg wash- one egg white with 2 Tbsp. of water)
Then fill half your circle with the apple deliciousness.


Be sure to recruit a cute helper for this part.



After folding over the other half of dough, pinch the edges closed and use a fork to seal the edge.
 Be sure to poke a few holes in the top- or else your delicious filling with spurt out the seams.
(learned that lesson my first go around)
Once you have all your pockets prepared, brush the outsides with the egg wash and sprinkle generously with sugar.
This makes the crust nice and shiny with a delicious and delicate crunch.

Then bake them in a 400 degree oven for 45-60 minutes.



Oh these are so delicious!
And I love their rustic appearance.
(that's another way of saying I am not a perfectionist when it comes to assembly)


They go along perfectly with your coffee in the morning too!



I hope you get a chance to try theses tasty treats!



4 comments:

  1. These sound wonderful. I love Ina Garten...most of her recipes are pretty easy for me to follow. :) When you make your way to California we will have to make these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my, I can almost taste these just after seeing these pics. I'm quite sure Hubby felt very loved each day as he enjoyed his Apple Pie. Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so going to try these, Ams! They look delicious-os! (is that a word?) xoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so, so been wanting to make this for forever! Thank you for the push I need! This is going on my menu list. Yours turned out beautiful but I'm sure having such a cute helper makes all the difference!

    ReplyDelete